Monday, August 24, 2026

The End of Oak Street, and the gasps we made and heard in the theatre

 

So we took the kids to Elitch Gardens with some of their friends, and went ourselves to go have a nice meal and then see The End of Oak Street. The wife is a huge Dino-holic and this movie was calling to both of us. The big names in the movie are Ewan McGregor and Anne Hathaway, but the newer actors of Maisy Stella and Christian Convery play their kids and do a fantastic job too. 

The premise of the movie is that the neighborhood the family lives in gets mysteriously transported back to the age of dinosaurs and they have to figure out how to survive, and hopefully escape. The wife said this was the best Jurassic Park feeling movie since the original. It was truly a thrilling movie, and like many you need to suspend disbelief, but if you do there's so much to enjoy.

Give this movie a chance if you have any interest at all. It's one that honestly I could see going back to see again in theatres and that we will be buying for sure once it's release for home consumption. Or at least when it's on sale for a good price as I'm pretty cheap. We honestly need more mid-budget movies like this and if it wasn't for Spidey still dominating, I wonder if it would have been a bigger hit at the box office.

9/10

I say more below, but it's *SPOILER-IFFIC*






SPOILERS!!!!



When Ewan McGregor gets his leg bitten off, there were audible gasps throughout the theatre. To then have him almost immediately get eaten thereafter caused the wife and I to gape at each other and we weren't the only ones to react with shock and awe. It truly changed the rest of the film and meant that anyone could die at any moment. We both talked after and expected someone else to get killed before the ending. Especially from the terrifying snake that was in the house. *shudder* I hated that thing and it freaked me right out. The emotion impact of the death of Greg (Ewan) was felt throughout the rest of the movie and Anne especially shined in that part of her performance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment